Best Resolutions for the Brother Printer in Error State Problem
A Brother printer is definitely an excellent investment. Using these printers is easy and convenient. But the problem arises when the device develops technical glitches and stops listening to your commands . Brother printer in error state is one of the widespread technical glitches resulting from many things like corrupt drivers and incorrect settings. The most effective fixes for it include resetting the printer settings and downloading the latest and compatible drivers and packages.
In this article, we’ll shed light on the most important causes and ways to fix them correctly. They’ll help you bring your printer out of the error state and start working with it.
Why Is Brother Printer in Error State?
Your Brother printer can come in an error state because of various causes. Here is a list of the top reasons why this problem arises.
- A virus or a malware attack can cause the Brother printer to show an error state.
- Incorrect Brother printer settings
- BIOS problem is another frequent cause of this error.
- If you have a low-speed or unstable internet connection, you will find your Brother printer to show an error state.
- A corrupted printer driver is another reason.
- Your USBs and wires are improperly linked.
- There’s a paper jam.
Simple Troubleshooting for Brother Printer in Error State
You don’t always need to resort to advanced fixes when your Brother printing device shows an error message. First, you can try some easy hacks to see if there’s an improvement in the situation. Only when they refuse to make your Brother printer function properly should you implement the advanced measures.
- Check your network connectivity. A poor network connection is a common cause of Brother printers going in an error state. Fix your slow internet, and you’ll see your printer some out of the error state.
- Next, find how your Brother printer is plugged in. It should be firmly plugged in. You can remove the plug and plug-in again if you feel the need.
- Check the toner or ink you are using. Is it from the Brother brand? If the ink you are choosing is cheap or of low quality, you will definitely notice your Brother printer error state problem at some point.
- Is your printer’s ink levels depleted? Low ink levels cause different issues in the printer. Ensure that the toner has adequate ink.
- Look for paper jams. If your printer has a paper jam, it will likely not work and show an offline error.
Advanced Measures for Brother Printer in Error State
If you’ve completed the measures above but still find that your Brother printer is in an error state, it’s time to dig a bit deeper. Below are more detailed troubleshooting techniques you can use upon finding this error.
1. Reset the Brother printer settings
As mentioned in the causes, incorrect Brother printer settings adversely affect the performance of this device. It usually leads to the printer reporting an offline error. Follow these measures to reset printer settings.
- Hit the Windows logo with the R key to open the Run window.
- In its dialog box, input ‘devmgmt.msc.
- Now, press Enter. The Device Manager window will show up. Here, click the View icon.
- Now, locate the ‘Show hidden devices’ option and put a tick mark in the checkbox besides it.
- Navigate to ‘Ports (COM & LPT).’ Now, tap ‘Properties’ to open the window.
- Navigate to the ‘Port Settings’ tab in the Properties window.
- Now, locate the ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port’ option.
- Choose the box beside ‘Enable legacy Plug and Play detection.’
- After that, tap ‘Apply’ followed by ‘OK’ to save the changes you’ve made.
- Lastly, restart your device.
- After it boots up, see if the error has been resolved.
Fix the print spooler services
The print spooler aligns the print tasks as per the printing. Any problem with it always causes Brother printer in error state problem. So, you must restart it and then clear pending print tasks in it. The instructions to fix print spooler services are mentioned in the sections below.
- Restart the print spooler services
- Open the Run dialog box and type ‘CMD.’
- Right-tap the Command Prompt result and opt for ‘Run as administrator.’
- After tapping ‘Yes’ for confirmation, enter ‘net stop spooler’ and press the enter key.
- You will see a message which says that the print spooler service was stopped.
- When this happens, input ‘net start spooler’ and press the enter key.
- The print spooler service will commence again.
- Lastly, restart your PC.
Remove pending print tasks in the spooler.
- Launch the C: drive in your system.
- Next, head to Windows\System32\Spool\Printers.
- Remove the files you see within.
- Go to the file inside the ‘Printers’ folder. Now press ‘Delete.’
- Now you can restart the print spooler.
- For it, input ‘Services.msc’ in the Run box and press enter.
- Find the print spooler, right-tap on it, and hit ‘Restart.’
- Now you’ll not find your Brother printer showing an error state.
2. Update your Brother printer driver
When your brother printer driver is unavailable then update your Brother printer driver to resolves different problems related to its function. It also fixes the error state problem. Updating drivers is a two-step process that involves finding drivers by searching for them online. Then, you download the drivers. Below are stepwise instructions to update the drivers automatically.
- Go to the ‘Device Manager’ in your system.
- Next, tap ‘View’ present at the top.
- Then, tap ‘Show hidden devices.’
- Expand the list by clicking on ‘Print Queues.’
- Right-tap on Brother driver, and then tap ‘Update driver.’
- Then, choose ‘Search automatically’ for updated driver software.
- Allow Windows to find the drivers for you.
- Lastly, adhere to the prompts on your screen to install the latest drivers.
3. Use the in-built troubleshooting tool.
It’s a very easy way to remove the error state. Windows 10 has an in-built troubleshooting tool that you can use whenever you find that your Brother printer is in an error state. Follow these points to use the troubleshooting tool efficiently.
- Hit the ‘Start’ button and opt for ‘Settings.’
- Next, choose ‘Update & Security.’
- Choose ‘Troubleshoot’ and then ‘Additional Troubleshooters.
- Choose the printer icon and then the option ‘Run the Troubleshooter.’
- The troubleshooter will fix the problem you are facing. Once it does its job, restart your computer.
4. Reset the printer to factory default
If nothing works, it is best to reset your device to factory default. Here are the steps to do it.
- Firstly, press the ‘Up’ or ‘Down’ keys to choose ‘Initial Setup.’
- After that, press ‘OK.’
- Use the arrow keys again to choose ‘Reset.’
- Now hit ‘OK.’
- Using the arrow keys, select ‘Factory Reset.’
- Now hit ‘OK.’
- Use the ‘Up’ arrow key to choose ‘Reset.’
- Lastly, restart your machine by pressing the ‘Up’ arrow key.
Printers have become truly essential in today’s world. That’s why on finding your Brother printer in error state, you may feel like your work has come to a standstill. However, these resolutions will help you navigate your problem and learn more about your printing device. But if the error state problem persists, seek the advice of expert Brother printer technical support services.